Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Appetites

The sermon on Sunday at CrossBridge Community Church presented by Chris Dillashaw was pretty awesome. It covered the story of Jacob and Esau and how that relates to what we exchange for Gods calling.
Genesis 25:29-34 was related to what we trade our birthright, Gods calling, for an appetite. Jacob gained inheritance into Gods kingdom and Esau received soup...soup? Yes, soup! He was hungry, he was impulsive, he wanted soup, now!
Chris pointed out the problems and common appetites we Americans share. One of these problems was that we are never satisfied. Heard that word!
Possible appetites are as follows:
1. love and acceptance
2. progress
3. responsibility
4. fame
5. things
Of these five, I resonate with two of them. Hold on this may take a second to type out for fear of my having to acknowledge it....love and acceptance. eee...ugh... Hate the way that sounds. And that would be another problem the Lord is shinning his ever bright light on, pride. The second appetite I resonated with was progress. These two go together for me. If I make great progress then I will be loved and accepted. Even if that is self acceptance and self love. If I show progress in whatever area (school/nursing/humility/knowledge of the word, etc.) then I will be worthy of love and acceptance. Yuck, yuck, yuck!!! Excuse me I may have to pause. This is horrible I know!
However, still I know that I want Christ to grow in me. I want to make room for what He would have in my life. That means I have to lay all of that yucky stuff down. I have to, as Chris stated "reject the call of this world". I have to realize what it really means to be a child of God! I am NOT a child of me, I am NOT a child of accomplishments, I am NOT a child of whatever degree of success, I AM A CHILD OF GOD! Yes, Chris got just about as dramatic as that.
I want to live in freedom and victory however long this process of sanctification may be. I am realizing that each year it really is something new and sometimes a revisit to heal. Maybe this is just a part of denial but I've never thought myself as a people pleaser. At least I didn't quite feel that way before my new life in Christ. Interesting stuff we learn as new creations in Christ, ha! Even so, I know my Lord loves me, guides me, protects me, and has sovereignly chosen me to be His!
I'll also throw out there My Utmost For His Highest daily devotional was right on today too, matter of fact so was Streams in the Desert for anyone who reads those. God speaks loud sometimes, I just need more clarity of what His divine will is when they all seem so good for His glory...
Yep pretty true, out there, raw stuff. So easy does it on judgements, pretty vulnerable at this point. At least let this be for His glory and sanctifying work in me!
Acts 20:32 "And now I commend you to God and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up and to give you the inheritance among all those who are sanctified."

Here is a link to the sermon, I encourage whoever stumbles upon this to listen and really let Gods Spirit speak to your heart. www.crossbridgecommunitychurch.com click resource page for sermons, also found on itunes.

2 comments:

  1. Yep, raw stuff. Love and acceptance for me and the other thing is ...things. I have to tell myself all of the time that we have more than enough, to live simply with less stuff. God is teaching me about acceptance right now in my job. It is tough.
    I had a cute conversation with Katie the other day. I was talking to Lisa about art and track and Katie said "Mom, what am I?" and I said "You are a child of God." I was sweetly reminded that I am too.
    Blessings to you fellow so-journer and Child of God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love your blog amanda! glad you linked to it! the sermon this sunday spoke to me as well. love and acceptance is a huge weakness of mine. huge in every way. i can't wait til God changes that about me. it's so evident that what He has be walk through in life is driectly tied to Him trying to set me free from seeking other people's approval. it's still so hard for me to let go of it because i think that's what i have lived off of for so long. it's a true addiction for me. anyway, glad i can read your blog!!

    ReplyDelete